These are some things that I am discovering as I go through chemo
I welcome input from others.
CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!
- For fire mouth, I am finding Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste works for
- Emend capsules eliminated my nausea. Ask your doctor, but they are expensive
and your insurance might refuse to pay. Mine finally paid.
- Eating popsicles or ice during chemo infusion REALLY helped me reduce fire
mouth. I was amazed at how effective it was.
- Phillips' caplets, Senokot, a stool softener or equivalent may become your
best friend. Be proactive. Constipation can be a serious problem.
- Port or not to port? I'm very pleased with my port.
- Use a soft toothbrush. Your gums will be very sensitive.
- Don't eat acidic foods.
- Don't eat spicy foods.
- Don't eat crunchy foods.
- Knocking off toenails is not recommended (I know from experience). Be extremely
careful. Your immune system is weak.
- Use soap, water and disinfectant liberally.
- Buy a good infrared thermometer, especially if you have white blood count
- If you need Neupogen, be sure you get the small needles. Mine are 30GA/half
- If you run a fever, contact your doctor immediately.
- IMPORTANT: DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! You will need every
detail including dates, treatments, Doctors, etc. Do yourself a favor and
THESE THINGS HELPED ME BUT...
ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!